1. “It’s easy to feel uncared for when people aren’t able to communicate and connect with you in the way you need. And it’s so hard not to internalize that silence as a reflection on your worth. But the truth is that the way other people operate is not about you. Most people are so caught up in their own responsibilities, struggles, and anxiety that the thought of asking someone else how they’re doing doesn’t even cross their mind. They aren’t inherently bad or uncaring— they’re just busy and self-focused. And that’s okay. It’s not evidence of some fundamental failing on your part. It doesn’t make you unloveable or invisible. It just means that those people aren’t very good at looking beyond their own world. But the fact that you are— that despite that despite the darkness you feel, you have the ability to share your love and light with others— is a strength. Your work isn’t to change who you are; it’s to find people who're able to give you the connection you need. Because despite what you feel, you are not too much. You are not too sensitive or too needy. You are thoughtful and empathetic. You are compassionate and kind. And with or without anyone’s acknowledgement or affection, you are enough.”
2. “Love at every opportunity you are given to love. Be less afraid. Embrace each day (none are promised). Cry when you need to, it’ll make you feel better. You were put on this planet to feel every feeling you could, do that. Everything works out in the end.”
3. “Fill yourself up with art, books, knowledge, experience. Surround yourself with people who have nothing but love to give. These things, they are important. They will help you learn how to love.”
4. “Admire someone else’s beauty without questioning your own.”
5. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life— and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.”
6. “I hope you know you’re capable and brave and significant. Even when it feels like you’re not.”
7. "Wherever you are, be all there."
8. “Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.”
9. “I have found that most people are as happy as they make their minds up to be."
10. “Be gentle to your precious little soul.”
11. "You are not weak just because your heart feels heavy."
12. “Sometimes being a human is hardwork."
13. “You will always be too much of something for someone: too big, too loud, too soft, too edgy. If you round out your edges, you lose your edge. Apologize for mistakes. Apologize for unemotionally hurting someone— profusely. But don’t apologize for being who you are.”
14. “Don’t just be good to others. Be good to you.”
15. “Better to be the one who smiled than the one who didn't smile back.”
16. “I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too. Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it's true I'm here, and I'm just as strange as you.”
17. “What if I fall?”
“Oh, my darling, what if you fly?”
18.“You are enough. You are so enough. It is unbelievable how enough you are.”
19. “The real world does not start when you leave high school, when you can legally drink, or when you get a job. You have been in the real world your whole life. So go live it.”
20. “The world is full of nice people. If you can’t find one, be one.”