Delta Gamma's History

Delta Gamma

With more than 210,000 members around the globe, Delta Gamma is one of the largest and oldest sororities in the world. Delta Gamma was founded in 1873 in Oxford Mississippi at the Lewis School for Girls. The founding members, Mary Comfort Leonard, Anna Boyd Ellington, and Eva Webb Dodd, created the society to officiate their commitment to intellectual growth and encouraging college women to become their best selves. Today, Gamma Delta has 148 chapters and 250 chapters for alumnae in the U.S., Canada, and England. 

Delta Gamma Symbols and Colors

The original symbol of Delta Gamma was the letter H for "hope." In 1877, the sorority changed their symbol to a golden anchor, which also symbolizes hope. Many representations of the symbol today include a small rope wrapped around the shaft of the anchor. 

Delta Gamma's philosophy is to nurture a world where women can develop a "deeper love and consideration for mankind, a more profound understanding of the purpose of life, and a basic wisdom upon which to build their lives." Their motto is: "do good." Their values and their motto are represented by the cream-colored rose and their mascot, the Hannah Doll. The official colors of Delta Gamma are bronze, dusty pink, and blue.

The History of How Delta Gamma Came to Be

Delta Gamma was present at the first National Panhellenic Council meeting in Boston, MA, in 1891. This meeting was the first time the original 7 members of the Council got together. Since then, the council has grown to 26 members, and it is now the governing body of sororities in America. Delta Gamma began in the Southern U.S. 

Later, the sorority's only male initiate, George Banta, helped spread the sorority to the Eastern U.S. He has been an integral part of Delta Gamma, expanding the sorority, speaking at conventions, and helping to rewrite the Delta Gamma ritual. To this day, Delta Gamma still has close bonds with Banta's fraternity, Phi Delta Theta. 

Delta Gamma Philanthropy

Delta Gamma's official philanthropy is Service for Sight. In 1936, Ruth Billow, who lost her sight after an accident, asked Delta Gamma to contribute to the lives of people with limited or no eyesight. Delta Gamma answered. Since then, the sorority helped fund genetic research, life-enhancing programs, and worked at service centers for the Visually Impaired and Schools for the Blind. Sorority members volunteer more than 150,000 hours with Service for Sight every year. They donate thousands of dollars each year to Service for Sight organizations and other programs for education and leadership.  

5550172 Orig

Share your Delta Gamma pride with the world with Houndstooth Press's customizable gear. 

Source:

https://www.deltagamma.org/ourstory

 

Contact Us

SaveSave