Located in the heart of the Ozark Mountains, Missouri State University was founded in Springfield in 1905. It was formerly known as the Fourth District Normal School and then Southwest Missouri State College. Current enrollment exceeds 20,000 students, and over 20 fraternities and sororities are represented. These include Alpha Gamma Rho, Sigma Nu, and Sigma Phi (fraternities) as well as Delta Zeta, Xi Omicron Iota, and Gamma Phi Beta (sororities).
As a Greek life student at Missouri State University, you’ll participate in a host of events, from Homecoming to the Bear Bash to fraternity and sorority conferences. That means you’ll need access to the top DJ, formalwear, and similar services in and around Springfield. We’ve gathered information regarding some of these for you.
No Greek event is complete without music, and Springfield has a plethora of great DJ services. Some of the top choices include:
• Bramy Entertainment. Based in Branson, Bramy Entertainment is a mobile DJ service able to serve residents all over southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas. The company commonly hosts a variety of parties and dances as well as weddings and family or fraternity reunions. Bramy offers comprehensive questionnaires to help you determine what type of music is best for your event. Its sound system is the most current available, and the staff is cited as “very professional.” Communication before, during, and after events is lauded as well.
• Spark Events DJ and Photo Booth. Spark Events offers DJ and photography services for a variety of events, including college functions. Its website showcases videos of its work, and its new blog keeps you up to date on recent events in and around Springfield. The photo booth is one of the most popular parts of Spark; the staff brings in a variety of props and unique backdrops so party-goers can customize their photos and memories.
• Travel Tunes. Modern Bride Magazine selected Travel Tunes as one of the hottest DJ services in the nation, but its expertise isn’t limited to weddings. All Travel Tunes employees go through an extensive training program to make sure they can meet clients’ needs and make each event unique and memorable. Travel Tunes’ music library is extensive and spans a plethora of current and classic artists.
• Show Me Karaoke. While live music is great for any college event, it can be more fun to provide the music yourself. Show Me Karaoke gives you and your Greek brothers and sisters a chance to shine. Show Me Karaoke’s music library is one of the biggest of its kind, and you can create a client account on its website for frequent bookings. The service’s contract is available online, and you can pay through PayPal if desired.
Whether you’re going to a fraternity or sorority conference or hosting families and friends during orientation, your Greek organization may need a hotel. Springfield hosts several well-respected chains that consistently get great reviews:
• Greenstay Hotel and Suites. With over 300 “excellent” or “very good” reviews on Trip Advisor, Greenstay is one of Missouri’s best known hotel chains. Reviewers often stay at a Greenstay location specifically for college visits or events like MSU Showcase Day. Reasonable rates, friendly service, and a delicious hotel breakfast are common reasons reviewers rate this hotel so highly. One reviewer noted Greenstay was recently renovated, making the hotel and rooms fresher and cleaner than usual.
• Comfort Inn and Suites. Ranked 6th out of 50 Springfield hotels on Trip Advisor, the Comfort Inn and Suites has over 300 positive reviews. Clean, spacious rooms are frequently mentioned in reviews, as is the unique décor in the front lobby. A large continental breakfast and pool area also regularly impress reviewers.
• TownePlace Suites. This hotel allows you to book blocks of rooms if necessary—an advantage if you’re in town for a conference or other Greek event. Modern amenities are a big draw for reviewers, and many of them cite cleanliness as a reason to choose TownePlace suites. It’s also conveniently located near a local Bass Pro and several downtown events and shops.
When most people think of Greek life, they think of building community within a fraternity or sorority house. While this is certainly important, Greek life requires travel at times. Secure the best transportation services for your conferences, chapter meetings, and other travel needs with these options near Missouri State:
• All Around Cab Taxi Services. Located in Springfield, All Around Cab is open 24 hours, seven days per week. Local and out of town reviewers cite reasonable pricing as an advantage; one Washington reviewer says an All Around cab cost her $10 less than the cab she took to the same destination from another company. Friendly dispatchers and drivers, prompt pickup, and clean cabs are also featured in positive reviews.
• Springfield Airport/Taxi/Shuttle Bus Service. Air travel is a reality for many college students, including those who participate in Greek life. This service allows travelers to arrange their pickups and drop-offs the day before traveling. Early pickups are an advantage, as are friendly drivers. The taxi or shuttle will wait right outside the airport if needed.
Greek life parties are normally considered casual. However, formal occasions are somewhat common among fraternities and sororities, as are conferences and inter-organizational gatherings. If you’re a Missouri State student in need of a dress or suit, try one of our featured formalwear shops for the best service possible:
• Jim’s Formal Wear. Jim’s Formal Wear is well known across Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma. In fact, many smaller formalwear shops contract with Jim’s to carry their collections. Not only does Jim’s carry formalwear for all occasions, but it offers outfits tailored to specific themes. These can be anything from “rustic wedding” to Western or classic parties. Jim’s offers a variety of colors, styles, and patterns for tuxes and dresses.
• Paul Phillips Formal Wear. Paul Phillips consistently receives positive reviews from customers in Springfield and the surrounding cities. It offers every style of tuxedo from classic to camo as well as bridal gowns and formalwear for women. The shop also offers a variety of colors and patterns for its “color splash” collection, which helps make your tuxedo unique.