The University of Kansas has five campus locations (Lawrence, Salina, Wichita, Topeka, and Overland Park) and hosts about 28,000 students. Altogether, the University of Kansas has 45 fraternities and sororities, and 18% of the undergraduate population participates in Greek life. Greek organizations include the Sigma Kappa Sorority, Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity, and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity. The University of Kansas’ Greek students participate in events such as the KUnity Leadership Retreat and Greek Advance educational program.
These events and programs are part of what draw University of Kansas students to Greek life each year. We’ve gathered information on some of the top event services in the area to help students enjoy each of their Greek events to the fullest.
Greek life will require you to dress up on numerous occasions, whether that’s for a banquet or a black tie party. Thus, you’ll need a reliable formalwear service like one of these:
- Joseph A. Bank. Open seven days a week, Joseph A. Bank is the number one listed men’s formalwear service in Lawrence, Kansas. The store, part of a nationwide chain, offers everything from suits to sportswear and free shipping on orders over $50. Joseph A. Bank offers signature suits and no-iron dress shirts, making it easy not only to choose a formal outfit but keep it looking professional whether your event takes place the next day or in two weeks. The company has a huge selection of shoes and accessories as well as expansive big and tall offerings.
- Aneita’s Alterations & Sew Forth. Located in Lawrence’s Sunset Hills neighborhood, Aneita’s is open six days a week and takes walk-ins as well as regular appointments. Formal wear rental is available for men and women. Aneita’s also offers mending and alterations on formal clothing you already own, including military uniforms. Finally, Aneita’s offers garment preservation, so you can keep your formalwear safe from stains, tears, and other mishaps before and after your big event.
- Lasting Impressions. This consignment shop in Lawrence has an A+ Better Business Bureau rating and is open seven days a week until 5:30 or 6 p.m. It offers formal clothing in good condition for a fraction of what you might pay in some other formalwear shops, so your budget isn’t a problem. Lasting Impressions deals in name brand clothing and is conveniently located in a large shopping center.
The saying “all dressed up and no place to go” doesn’t apply to University of Kansas’ Greek life students. Several transportation services are available for both local events and those that require air travel:
- Roundabout Transportation. With consistent five-star reviews on Yelp, Roundabout boasts helpful airport transportation to and from many Kansas neighborhoods, including homes of University of Kansas campuses. Roundabout is known for reasonable pricing, “spotless” cars, and helpful drivers familiar with Kansas neighborhoods and the best routes to and from locations like airports. Reviewers also say Roundabout is easy to contact via phone or email.
- Ben’s Transportation Service LLC. Located in Kansas City, MO, Ben’s Transportation Service also serves several Kansas locations. It’s a “family-owned and customer-driven” business consistently given perfect Yelp ratings. Ben’s offers luggage loading and unloading service, particularly for travelers with a great deal of luggage. Early departure for your destination is guaranteed, and you’ll get a timely notification letting you know when your driver is ready to pick you up.
- SDM Transportation. SDM serves Kansas City as well as Overland Park, Topeka, and other University of Kansas campus locations. In fact, the University of Kansas recommends SDM on its Questions and Answers page. Drivers are prompt, and dispatchers are cited as “professional and responsive.” SDM is open seven days a week, including 24 hours on Thursdays and weekends, and features reasonable pricing.
The social aspect of fraternity and sorority life is a huge draw for prospective Greek students. For every party or gathering, your house needs great music. Familiarize yourself with some of the best services in and around the University of Kansas area.
- JK Mobile DJs. Located in Overland Park, JK Mobile is a convenient distance from the University of Kansas campus. Dance lights and karaoke are available with every package at no extra cost, and JK promises no hidden fees or price spikes. The JK staff is prepared to perform for every type of gathering, from a fraternity party to a brother or sister’s wedding reception. Additionally, the staff can be as involved in the event as you like. They’re willing to stay in the background or be your focal point.
- HD Entertainment. HD is located in Olathe, a short distance from Overland Park. HD has been in business since 2011, and founder Luke Smith and his staff are dedicated to meeting every customer’s specific needs. As the name implies, HD Entertainment specializes in high-definition technology and, like high-definition technology, hides nothing from customers. There are no surprise fees, and unexpected technical difficulties are rare. Reviewers especially enjoy HD’s professional service and the fact that the staff wears many hats, from DJ to emcee.