Fondly known as Mizzou, the University of Missouri is located in Columbia, MO. Founded in 1839, it was the first public university west of the Mississippi River and the first public university in what was then the Louisiana Purchase territory. It boasts several separate career colleges, including the Trulaske School of Business, and is home to 7,442 Greek life students. Sororities and fraternities have included Zeta Phi and the Theta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma, the first female Greek organization on campus. Currently, chapters of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, among others, are active.
Greek life at the University of Missouri is lively and encompasses service, scholarship, and leadership, all of which lend themselves to a variety of events. To make your time as a Greek brother or sister as fun and productive as possible, we’ve gathered a list of some top services you may need to utilize.
Greek life is supposed to be fun and relaxing, but at times, special occasions call for formalwear. Before you find yourself in need of a dress or tuxedo, familiarize yourself with some of the area’s best formalwear services.
• Savvi Formal Wear. Conveniently located in the Columbia Mall, Savvi Formal Wear is open seven days a week from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. (6 p.m. on Sundays). The store offers formal wear for men and women, including several styles of tuxedos. Savvi Formal Wear has regular stores as well as specialty stores for groomsmen fittings, so if you’re a fraternity member whose brother is getting married, the company can find the perfect tuxedo for you. You can reach Savvi Formal Wear after hours using its after-hours website link.
• Gwynnie Bee. Gwynnie Bee is an online store catering to women, particularly plus-size women or those that otherwise don’t fit into mainstream store sizes (their sizes start at 10). Women are offered over 2,000 styles of clothing for cocktail parties, daytime parties, and other formal events as well as casual events. The website’s 30-day free trial makes it easy for sorority members to shop for or return clothing as needed, and the style selection guarantees women will find the perfect outfit for their next Greek event.
• Paul Phillips Formal Wear. Another tuxedo rental shop, Paul Phillips has a variety of positive reviews on yellowpages.com. The chain is known for its tuxedos, but it also offers bridal wear. Special orders, thorough cleaning, and reasonable pricing are cited as reasons reviewers are commonly impressed.
Getting there is always a big part of enjoying Greek events, whether they’re local or out of town. In fact, some Greek events may require air travel. With this in mind, here are some of Columbia’s top transportation services:
• Star Taxi. Started in 2014, Star Taxi is a relatively new service already pulling in great Yelp reviews. It’s been cited as a fantastic service for people who come to the University of Missouri for conferences and other events because the drivers are familiar with the campus and can recommend good pickup and drop off spots. The cabs are clean and safe, and the drivers are commended for their professionalism.
• Lisa’s Taxi. Lisa’s Taxi is open 24 hours, seven days a week and is known for its early pickup times. Even if you have to be picked up at 3:30 a.m., reviewers say Lisa’s Taxi drivers will show up on time and get you to your destination quickly and efficiently. Lisa’s often services customers traveling to airports like the regional one in Columbia. Although some reviewers find these airports big and overwhelming, they say Lisa’s helps them navigate much more smoothly.
• Maxi Taxi. A provider of taxi service and party buses, Maxi Taxi gets great ratings from reviewers based on friendly drivers, clean cars, and prompt service. The drivers are familiar with the protocol for transporting large groups of people over long distances and are always on time or early. The drivers will also ensure you have all your possessions before leaving the vehicle.
Today’s fraternities and sororities aren’t all about partying—most organizations participate regularly in academic conferences, charity fundraisers, and other activities. That said, Greek life is quite social, and no gathering is complete without music. With our featured DJ services, your chapter house can have some of the best party experiences on campus.
• Millennium Productions. Millennium Productions serves St. Louis and all surrounding cities, including Columbia, and has received several positive Yelp reviews. Millennium is known for weddings, but its services are available for other events. Requests are taken, and song lists can be personalized. In fact, event hosts are encouraged to communicate with the DJ and staff prior to their events. The staff is cited as calm and professional, which improves any large event. The music is eclectic, and the lighting options are consistently praised.
• Music Express. The DJs at Music Express have 33 years of combined experience. They use the best and most modern equipment, including Bose speakers and sound systems, and control all their equipment through Apple MacBooks and modern software. This ensuring the music and lighting for your event stay top-notch for hours. You can check Music Express’ schedule online months in advance, and each package comes with a six-hour contract. Additionally, Music Express recently put up a new Facebook page.